Traditional Lake District stay on the banks of Lake Windermere
Enjoy luxury hotels and holidays at lower prices
Access and book our deals using just your email
New deals start and end every day
Our deals move fast - our emails make sure you don't miss a trip.I don't want to get amazing discounts on luxury travel in my inbox
100% refundable, up to 8 days before travel
Wake up among elegant, traditional English interiors on the pretty shores of Lake Windermere – includes breakfast, plus three-course dinner options. Fully refundable - book with confidence
- The best of the Lake District: Perched enviably on the serene shores of Lake Windermere, Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa provides a comforting, traditional base to explore the beautiful Lake District region from. The hotel’s comfortable rooms - which feature incomparable views over the lake and generous walk-in showers - are just the thing to come home to after a day’s exertions in the fresh lakeside air, while the modern British cuisine at the restaurant, using fresh seasonal ingredients, is hearty and delicious.
- Tranquil lakeside setting: The hotel sits right in the heart of one of England’s most beautiful areas, the Lake District, and right on the shores of its most famous lake, Windermere. This part of the world is a playground for lovers of the great outdoors, with myriad hiking and cycling trails to choose from as well as a wide range of activities that all the family can enjoy - from a 'Go Ape' experience to a day out at the Beatrix Potter museum.
- Blissful spa: After a tiring day’s outdoor adventures, Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa’s indulgent spa offers a range of wellness therapies to help you recover and relax. This area is also rich in history, from the millennia-old Roman ruins of Ambleside Fort to the Stott Park Bobbin Mill, where you can learn all about the region’s history.
- Spa and wellness facilities
- Lounge bar
- Indoor pool
- On-site parking (£15 per 24 hours)
How to get there
The hotel is situated on the shores of the picturesque Lake Windemere, just south of Windemere centre. There's a train station here which offers links to Kendal, from where you can change to trains bound for Manchester or London. If you're driving from the M6, take the A590 and A591 towards Kendal then make your way from there.
Good to know
There are facilities available for guests with disabilities. Pets are not allowed.
We cannot guarantee access to hotel facilities (e.g restaurant or spa), as these are subject to change due to COVID-19. We advise you check with the hotel two weeks before your trip. If you choose not to travel, you must actively cancel up to eight days in advance to ensure a full refund.
For more details, please see our FAQ page.