Escape to the Lake District with this charming country hideaway
Save up to 60% on luxury hotels and holidays.
Access and book our deals using just your email
Book your escape now before it's too late...
The Wild Boar Tarn and Woodland
A tranquil Lake District winter stay at a cosy country inn near Lake Windermere, with its own smokehouse and brewhouse – includes breakfast and more
- Nestled among 72 acres of ancient woodland, The Wild Boar is a charming country inn located in the tranquil Gilpin Valley, a few miles from Lake Windermere – the gateway to the Lake District. With open log fires and rustic-chic interiors, this bolthole is the perfect place to escape urban living and hole up for some rest and respite.
- Spend your days taking long, rambling walks through the pretty trails carving through the surrounding woods, or venture to the rugged fells of the Lake District National Park. Later, retreat to The Grill & Smokehouse, a cosy haunt with oak beams and candlelit wooden tables – and excellent food of course.
- Feast on hearty rustic dishes rustled up using local, seasonal ingredients in the open kitchen (share a smoked platter if you’re feeling hungry), before nabbing a seat by the roaring fire to linger over post-dinner drinks – beer lovers will be in their element with the on-site microbrewery.
- Smokehouse restaurant
- On-site parking
- Room service
- Afternoon tea
- Access to health club at Low Wood Bay
How to get there
The inn is nestled in the stunning Lake District region, around three miles from the villages of Bowness and Windemere. Given the rural location, we'd recommend driving with your own set of wheels; on-site parking is available at no extra cost.
If you'd rather come via public transport, catch the train or bus to Windemere and hop in a taxi from there.
Good to know
Pets are allowed for an additional charge of £20 per room per night. Maximum of two dogs per in a room at one time.
We source flights from all major scheduled and low cost airlines to offer you a full choice of airlines, departure airports and flight times.
You can choose to add a flight to this hotel. Just select the dates you want to book your stay from the calendar and choose ‘Hotel + Flights’
On the next page you can choose the departure airport, time and airline and price that is convenient to you
When you buy a hotel with a flight with us you are financially protected under the ATOL scheme.
If you need any support booking this holiday, please contact 0207 887 2772 (Mon - Sun 8am to 8pm)
If you wish to make a flight only booking, or add a flight to an existing hotel booking with us, call our reservations team on 0343 227 0007 (Mon-Fri 9-6, Saturday 10-5, Sun closed)
Join now for free
Can't commit to booking right now?
Hold a date for only £25 while you decide.
- Pay £25 to hold a date until the end of the sale.
- If you choose to buy it, the money will go towards your purchase, if not, the cash will be credited to your Secret Escapes account.
Important: Please note, this is not a deposit, complete or guaranteed booking; holding the date simply prevents other members from swooping in and booking your preferred date while you're still having a think about it. Secret Escapes will not be liable for expenses incurred should that date not be available to book and a hold is cancelled.
For more details, please see our FAQ page.