A traditional Lake District stay on the banks of Lake Windermere
Save up to 60% on luxury hotels and holidays.
Access and book our deals using just your email
up to -55% today
Wake up among elegant, traditional English interiors on the pretty shores of Lake Windermere – includes breakfast, plus three-course dinner and spa treatment options
- Perched enviably on the serene shores of Lake Windermere, Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa provides a comforting, traditional base to explore the beautiful Lake District region from. The hotel’s comfortable rooms are just the thing to come home to after a day’s exertions in the fresh lakeside air, while the modern British cuisine at the restaurant, using fresh seasonal ingredients, is hearty and delicious.
- The hotel sits right in the heart of one of England’s most beautiful areas, the Lake District, and right on the shores of its most famous lake, Windermere. This part of the world is a playground for lovers of the great outdoors, with myriad hiking and cycling trails to choose from as well as a wide range of activities that all the family can enjoy - from a 'Go Ape' experience to a day out at the Beatrix Potter museum.
- After a tiring day’s outdoor adventures, Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa’s indulgent spa offers a range of wellness therapies to help you recover and relax. This area is also rich in history, from the millennia-old Roman ruins of Ambleside Fort to the Stott Park Bobbin Mill, where you can learn all about the region’s Victorian weaving industry.
- Spa and wellness facilities
- Lounge bar
- Indoor pool
- On-site parking
How to get there
The hotel is situated on the shores of the picturesque Lake Windemere, just south of Windemere centre. There's a train station here which offers links to Kendal, from where you can change to trains bound for Manchester or London. If you're driving from the M6, take the A590 and A591 towards Kendal then make your way from there.
Good to know
Please note that children are able to enjoy the pool between 9am-7pm only.
There are facilities available for guests with disabilities. Pets are not allowed.
Travelling with kids?
The hotel offers a variety of family rooms. When it comes to dining, you can expect highchairs and a children's menu in the restaurant, plus family-friendly dining times. Between 9am-7pm only, children are able to enjoy the pool.
We source flights from all major scheduled and low cost airlines to offer you a full choice of airlines, departure airports and flight times.
You can choose to add a flight to this hotel. Just select the dates you want to book your stay from the calendar and choose ‘Hotel + Flights’
On the next page you can choose the departure airport, time and airline and price that is convenient to you
When you buy a hotel with a flight with us you are financially protected under the ATOL scheme.
If you need any support booking this holiday, please contact 0207 887 2772 (Mon - Sun 8am to 8pm)
If you wish to make a flight only booking, or add a flight to an existing hotel booking with us, call our reservations team on 0343 227 0007 (Mon-Fri 9-6, Saturday 10-5, Sun closed)
Can't commit to booking right now?
Hold a date for only £25 while you decide.
- Pay £25 to hold a date until the end of the sale.
- If you choose to buy it, the money will go towards your purchase, if not, the cash will be credited to your Secret Escapes account.
Important: Please note, this is not a deposit, complete or guaranteed booking; holding the date simply prevents other members from swooping in and booking your preferred date while you're still having a think about it. Secret Escapes will not be liable for expenses incurred should that date not be available to book and a hold is cancelled.
For more details, please see our FAQ page.