An extraordinary private island hotel in the Solent
A luxury, full-board stay at Spitbank Fort - a unique hotel off the South Coast with a rooftop hot tub
The historic Spitbank Fort may not have fulfilled its original purpose as a naval defence, but it turns out it was destined for far more glamorous things. Now one of the most exclusive and unique hotels in the British Isles, this private island playground features spa facilities, a Laurent-Perrier Champagne bar and eight luxuriously converted rooms.
With its own departure lounge in Royal Clarence Marina, the experience starts before you're even on the water. You'll travel by private boat across the Solent and check in to a room complete with super kingsize beds, high riveted ceilings, cowhide rugs and masses of space - enough for each room to have been divided into two if the designers had felt less decadent.
There are three bars at this five-star retreat, alongside a wine cellar and games rooms. Up on the decked roof, there's a fire pit, hot pool, sauna and restored red lighthouse with an observation deck for surveying those far-reaching views of the South Coast and Isle of Wight.
Good to know
Please note that there is a different itinerary on Sunday to the rest of the week - you can find both detailed itineraries in the offer details.
In contrast to the sea-lashed exterior, the rooms at Spitbank Fort are a transformation of luxury furnishings and leading interior design. Working with the riveted ceilings and exposed red brick, the rooms boast an impressive floor plan, super kingsize beds and a large flatscreen TV. Stylish rugs and contemporary seating are mixed with globes and telescopes - the adventurer's essentials.
The Officer's Mess is a beautifully atmospheric setting for fine dining, with historic arched ceilings and views towards the harbour. The Crow's Nest is more modern, with plenty of light and access to a barbeque terrace. The Laurent-Perrier Champagne bar has to be one of the most exclusive spots anywhere in the world.
Occupying an isolated spot a mile from the shore, Spitbank Fort offers total privacy and a unique perspective on the South Coast. With panoramic views of the Isle of Wight, Portsmouth Harbour and Spinnaker Tower, you can relax on the rooftop and watch the sun rise (or set, more likely) over land and sea. The fort is reached by private boat transfer from Portsmouth's Royal Clarence Marina.
Please see the full itinerary for your stay below:
- Arrive at the Royal Clarence Marina, the private departure lounge, where the crew, tea, coffee and rum awaits
- Full steam ahead, as you depart from our own private launch to Spitbank Fort
- Greeted aboard the luxurious Spitbank with a chilled glass of champagne
- Grand historic tour commences, showing off the best of British military architecture and lovingly restored original artefacts
- Feast on a sumptuous buffet lunch served in the Crow’s Nest (guests will be seated at a sharing table)
- Explore the restored lighthouse with spectacular views of the Solent Forts, South Coast and Isle of Wight.
- Chill out in the rooftop hot pool followed by a relax in the sauna with the best views in town
- Tea, coffee and a slice of fort-made cake served in the Victory Bar (dressing gowns provided for a stylish cover up), before returning to the pool with champagne in hand
- Time to explore the fort, play games, fly kites or go fishing
- Fort siren sounds as guests are called to the Crow’s Nest for canapés
- A gourmet three-course dinner is served in the Officers Mess, followed by tea and coffee
- Under the stars wrapped in snug blankets, enjoy a hot chocolate whilst toasting marshmallows around the rooftop fire pit
- Fort Breakfast served in the Officers Mess
- After breakfast, leave your luggage outside your room and complete check-out in the Victory Bar
- Departure for mainland, passing naval ships on board the catamaran
- Arrival at Royal Clarence Departure Lounge
The best bit...
- Snug blankets and hot chocolate by the fire pit, which looks out towards the Isle of Wight
- Travelling in style, with a private departure lounge at Royal Clarence Marina and Bond-style water transfers
- The eight rooms - a revelation of luxury furnishings and original brickwork
- Staying in one of the most exclusive and unusual hotels in Britain
Why book with us?
- The best rates online. Guaranteed
We always check to make sure that we're the best deal online during our hand-picked sales. Buy with us in total confidence, knowing that our team of experts has already scoured the internet looking for the best prices.
Learn more about our price guarantee in our FAQ section.
- Pick your dates and we do the rest - no vouchers!
- Offers may include member perks, better rooms and more
- Holidays with flights are ATOL protected
Can't commit to booking right now?Hold a date for only £25 while you decide.
- Pay £25 to hold a date until the end of the sale.
- If you choose to buy it, the money will go towards your purchase, if not, the cash will be credited to your Secret Escapes account.
Important: Please note, this is not a deposit, complete or guaranteed booking; holding the date simply prevents other members from swooping in and booking your preferred date while you're still having a think about it. Secret Escapes will not be liable for expenses incurred should that date not be available to book and a hold is cancelled.
For more details, please see our FAQ page and our terms and conditions