Historic Rye stay with award-winning dining
Save up to 60% on luxury hotels and holidays.
Access and book our deals using just your email
Four Poster room
Four Poster room
Escape to a historic smugglers' inn behind a stunning Tudor façade in Rye, with award-winning dining – includes breakfast and optional dinner
- Mermaid Street in Rye exhibits some of the best antiquity to be found in the UK, and this extends all the way to The Mermaid Inn, originally built around 1156. Ships' timbers were used in the reconstruction in 1420, and fireplaces were risen from French stone scavenged from the harbour. Not much has changed since, making this a truly unique destination in the East Sussex countryside.
- Boasting two AA Rosettes, the restaurant offers British and European cuisine. Medieval artwork by the Slade School of Art adorns the walls, which are covered in linen-fold wooden panelling. The infamous Hawkhurst Gang of Smugglers once frequented this historic spot, smoking their pipes with their pistols leisurely laid on the table.
- The unique and historic interiors extend all the way to the guest bedrooms, where low beamed ceilings, latticed lead windows and antique beds await – opt for a Four Poster room for an experience truly reminiscent of the hotel's roots. Previous visitors include Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother and Prince Edward.
- Two AA Rosette-awarded restaurant
- Fireplace bar
- Room service
- Non-smoking hotel
How to get there
The Mermaid Inn is just a five-minute walk from Rye station, with connections from St Pancras, London Waterloo East and London Victoria, all with just one change.
We source flights from all major scheduled and low cost airlines to offer you a full choice of airlines, departure airports and flight times.
You can choose to add a flight to this hotel. Just select the dates you want to book your stay from the calendar and choose ‘Hotel + Flights’
On the next page you can choose the departure airport, time and airline and price that is convenient to you
When you buy a hotel with a flight with us you are financially protected under the ATOL scheme.
If you need any support booking this holiday, please contact 0207 887 2772 (Mon - Sun 8am to 8pm)
If you wish to make a flight only booking, or add a flight to an existing hotel booking with us, call our reservations team on 0343 227 0007 (Mon-Fri 9-6, Saturday 10-5, Sun closed)
Join now for free
Can't commit to booking right now?
Hold a date for only £25 while you decide.
- Pay £25 to hold a date until the end of the sale.
- If you choose to buy it, the money will go towards your purchase, if not, the cash will be credited to your Secret Escapes account.
Important: Please note, this is not a deposit, complete or guaranteed booking; holding the date simply prevents other members from swooping in and booking your preferred date while you're still having a think about it. Secret Escapes will not be liable for expenses incurred should that date not be available to book and a hold is cancelled.
For more details, please see our FAQ page.