Ivy-clad boutique Suffolk stay that once welcomed Charles Dickens
Save up to 60% on luxury hotels and holidays.
Access and book our deals using just your email
up to -55% today
Ivy View suite
St Edmundsbury Cathedral
Ivy View suite
A historic ivy-clad Suffolk hotel in Bury St Edmunds, with masses of boutique character and two AA Rosette dining – includes breakfast plus dinner and suite options
- Housed in a grand Georgian building whose facade is entangled with ivy, and flaunting a quirky, artistic interior within, The Angel Hotel achieves the perfect blend of traditional elegance and chic modern style. It's no wonder both Charles Dickens and Angelina Jolie chose to stay at this boutique base in Bury St Edmunds. An inspiring setting filled with history and charm, the hotel even features in the new movie 'The Personal History of David Copperfield', so a stay here will be nothing short of cinematic.
- Featuring some thoughtful nods to Charles Dickens (including quotes, artwork and copies of the author's books), the newly refurbished ground floor features a two AA rosette-awarded Eaterie, a bar with views of the Georgian square and Abbey Gate, and a relaxing lounge with luxurious seating and furnishings - all perfect for unwinding after a spot of sightseeing.
- Soft carpeted floors, high ceilings, large windows and plush boutique accents set the tone across the thoughtfully and individually designed rooms and suites. Each is spacious yet cosy in style, with arty decor, rich hues and elegant furnishings. Some even have views over the historic Abbey Gardens.
- In-room Temple Spa toiletries
- Concierge service
Travel is NOT included in this offer.
How do I get there?
If you are travelling from Manchester the journey is nearly four hours and from Birmingham it takes two hours and 20 minutes. You can also catch a train to Bury St Edmunds Rail Station from which it's a short transfer to the hotel.
We source flights from all major scheduled and low cost airlines to offer you a full choice of airlines, departure airports and flight times.
You can choose to add a flight to this hotel. Just select the dates you want to book your stay from the calendar and choose ‘Hotel + Flights’
On the next page you can choose the departure airport, time and airline and price that is convenient to you
When you buy a hotel with a flight with us you are financially protected under the ATOL scheme.
If you need any support booking this holiday, please contact 0207 887 2772 (Mon - Sun 8am to 8pm)
If you wish to make a flight only booking, or add a flight to an existing hotel booking with us, call our reservations team on 0343 227 0007 (Mon-Fri 9-6, Saturday 10-5, Sun closed)
Can't commit to booking right now?
Hold a date for only £25 while you decide.
- Pay £25 to hold a date until the end of the sale.
- If you choose to buy it, the money will go towards your purchase, if not, the cash will be credited to your Secret Escapes account.
Important: Please note, this is not a deposit, complete or guaranteed booking; holding the date simply prevents other members from swooping in and booking your preferred date while you're still having a think about it. Secret Escapes will not be liable for expenses incurred should that date not be available to book and a hold is cancelled.
For more details, please see our FAQ page.