Polished five-star riverside retreat near Bray
Save up to 60% on luxury hotels and holidays.
Access and book our deals using just your email
up to -50% today
A luxurious five-star riverside retreat dating back to 1723 on an island in the Thames with a floating spa – includes breakfast and optional dinner
- Monkey Island Estate is a wedding cake confection of Palladian temples, pavilions, and riverside gardens, set on a fish-shaped island in the middle of the river Thames. Interiors are classically understated yet sophisticated, and the only nod to primates is an 18th-century fresco of monkeys shooting and fishing splashed on the ceiling.
- Set within a seven-acre estate of gardens and lawns studded with chestnut, walnut and lime trees is a choice of 41 bedrooms, cottages, a spa housed in a riverboat moored on the banks of the Thames, a restaurant and a launch called Kingfisher – you might also spot its namesake bird flitting about.
- Treatments take place in the riverboat’s cabins – choose from massages, exfoliations and facials – while staff where natty nautical-inspired uniforms. At the Brasserie, expect delicious sharing plates and country-inspired dishes of pie and risotto. Breakfasts are impressive, and feature home-laid eggs.
- River launch
- Pets welcome (chargeable)
- Parking (chargeable)
- 24-hour reception
How to get there
Monkey Island Estate is located one mile downstream from Maidenhead, just outside the village of Bray. The estate is situated on an island (known as an eyot) in the middle of the river; access is via a footbridge, so if you’re driving you will need to park your car on the mainland and walk across. The hotel is a few minutes’ drive from Junction 8/9 of the M4 motorway, which links to the M25 and Central London.
There is train station in Maidenhead; trains from London Paddington take 40 minutes with the taxi journey from Maidenhead taking approximately 10 minutes. London’s Heathrow Airport is 17 miles away.
Good to know
Please note that the Barn rooms are situated off by the island, by the hotel’s entrance.
We source flights from all major scheduled and low cost airlines to offer you a full choice of airlines, departure airports and flight times.
You can choose to add a flight to this hotel. Just select the dates you want to book your stay from the calendar and choose ‘Hotel + Flights’
On the next page you can choose the departure airport, time and airline and price that is convenient to you
When you buy a hotel with a flight with us you are financially protected under the ATOL scheme.
If you need any support booking this holiday, please contact 0207 887 2772 (Mon - Sun 8am to 8pm)
If you wish to make a flight only booking, or add a flight to an existing hotel booking with us, call our reservations team on 0343 227 0007 (Mon-Fri 9-6, Saturday 10-5, Sun closed)
Can't commit to booking right now?
Hold a date for only £25 while you decide.
- Pay £25 to hold a date until the end of the sale.
- If you choose to buy it, the money will go towards your purchase, if not, the cash will be credited to your Secret Escapes account.
Important: Please note, this is not a deposit, complete or guaranteed booking; holding the date simply prevents other members from swooping in and booking your preferred date while you're still having a think about it. Secret Escapes will not be liable for expenses incurred should that date not be available to book and a hold is cancelled.
For more details, please see our FAQ page.