Boutique stay in the UNESCO-listed cave city of Matera
Save up to 60% on luxury hotels and holidays.
Access and book our deals using just your email
up to -52% today
You can add flights to this hotel
Deluxe Double room
Deluxe Double room
Experience the modern charms of a stunning restored guesthouse in the historic UNESCO-listed city of Matera, with breakfast, a suite option and more
- Carved into the mountains of the remote Basilicata region, Matera is on the arch of Italy’s boot, wedged between Calabria and Puglia. A UNESCO-listed cave city, is evolving from hidden treasure to must-visit destination, and has become one of the European Union's two Capitals of Culture for 2019.
- On the edge of the Sassi (stone houses) district, you'll find the historic and exclusive La Residenza del Monaco Bianco. A graceful white façade reveals decadent modern design touches as well as elegant rooms and suites, of which there are only six. After a day of exploring, you can return to the hotel for a crisp Italian white in the courtyard.
- Interiors are atmospheric with sliding glass doors, sleek woods and leather furnishings, all in a harmonious blend of natural hues - taupe, grey, cream and beige. Suites afford more space comprising a decadent circular bed, kitchenette stocked with wine, and balcony on which you could easily kick back and enjoy a glass of red.
- Breakfast (served locally)
- Bicycle rental
- Hammam sauna
- Airport transfers (chargeable)
- Baggage storage
How to get there
La Residenza del Monaco Bianco is around 75 kilometres from Bari International Airport-Karol Wojtyla. You can catch a Pugliabus service to Matera, and the hotel is a 10-minute walk. Otherwise, the hotel can arrange airport transfers; please fill out their online form here.
Good to know
Please note that a city tax of €2 per person, per night is payable at the hotel upon check-out.
To stay informed about how the UK leaving the EU could affect you when travelling in Europe, and the steps you need to take, please visit the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website.
We source flights from all major scheduled and low cost airlines to offer you a full choice of airlines, departure airports and flight times.
You can choose to add a flight to this hotel. Just select the dates you want to book your stay from the calendar and choose ‘Hotel + Flights’
On the next page you can choose the departure airport, time and airline and price that is convenient to you
When you buy a hotel with a flight with us you are financially protected under the ATOL scheme.
If you need any support booking this holiday, please contact 0207 887 2772 (Mon - Sun 8am to 8pm)
If you wish to make a flight only booking, or add a flight to an existing hotel booking with us, call our reservations team on 0343 227 0007 (Mon-Fri 9-6, Saturday 10-5, Sun closed)
Want to add flights?
Can't commit to booking right now?
Hold a date for only £25 while you decide.
- Pay £25 to hold a date until the end of the sale.
- If you choose to buy it, the money will go towards your purchase, if not, the cash will be credited to your Secret Escapes account.
Important: Please note, this is not a deposit, complete or guaranteed booking; holding the date simply prevents other members from swooping in and booking your preferred date while you're still having a think about it. Secret Escapes will not be liable for expenses incurred should that date not be available to book and a hold is cancelled.
For more details, please see our FAQ page.