Unwind in the country, a short drive from Highclere Castle
Save up to 60% on luxury hotels and holidays.
Access and book our deals using just your email
A relaxing stay at this charming property set in the heart of the Berkshire countryside – includes breakfast and perks
- Guests can indulge in the taste of the British countryside in the two AA Rosette-awarded restaurant, showcasing local produce and boasting a focus on seasonal eating. With a carefully curated wine list and a choice of local ales on offer, the relaxing ambience ensures a delightful dining experience.
- Escape the grind of the city and unwind in one of 14 rooms, each featuring its own sense of country charm. All the rooms are finished with antique furnishing, Egyptian cotton sheets and a flatscreen TV. Opt for an Indulgent room and soak in a hot tub on a private terrace to truly forget the bustle of everyday life in this oasis of countryside calm.
- Nestled in the heart of Berkshire, the Crab & Boar is a true country retreat ideal for a weekend away. Explore the surrounding countryside through one of the many footpaths, bridle-paths and cycle routes, with your room at the hotel making the perfect base.
- Car park
- Non-smoking hotel
- Pet friendly
How to get there
The nearest train station is Newbury, located approximately 10 minutes by car from the Crab & Boar. Guests are advised to pre book a taxi if arriving by train. If you’re driving here, from the M4 Junction 13, take the exit signposted A34 Oxford. After 200 yards follow the slip road signposted for Chieveley. At the T junction turn left and arrive on Graces Lane in Chieveley Village. Follow Graces Lane past the Red Lion Pub and take the next left onto School Road. Follow the road, taking care with the sharp bend at the top of the road. The Crab & Boar is situated approximately one mile up the road on the right-hand side.
Good to know
Please check the opening schedule of Highclere Castle to avoid disappointment as it is sometimes closed for filming. Details can be found on their website here.
We source flights from all major scheduled and low cost airlines to offer you a full choice of airlines, departure airports and flight times.
You can choose to add a flight to this hotel. Just select the dates you want to book your stay from the calendar and choose ‘Hotel + Flights’
On the next page you can choose the departure airport, time and airline and price that is convenient to you
When you buy a hotel with a flight with us you are financially protected under the ATOL scheme.
If you need any support booking this holiday, please contact 0207 887 2772 (Mon - Sun 8am to 8pm)
If you wish to make a flight only booking, or add a flight to an existing hotel booking with us, call our reservations team on 0343 227 0007 (Mon-Fri 9-6, Saturday 10-5, Sun closed)
Can't commit to booking right now?
Hold a date for only £25 while you decide.
- Pay £25 to hold a date until the end of the sale.
- If you choose to buy it, the money will go towards your purchase, if not, the cash will be credited to your Secret Escapes account.
Important: Please note, this is not a deposit, complete or guaranteed booking; holding the date simply prevents other members from swooping in and booking your preferred date while you're still having a think about it. Secret Escapes will not be liable for expenses incurred should that date not be available to book and a hold is cancelled.
For more details, please see our FAQ page.