- Trying fresh sea urchins from the sparkling waters of Puglia's romantic coastline
- Wine-tasting at Cantine Carpentiere, with lunch at a traditional masseria
- The ancient stone-walled Thermarium Spa in the basement of Corte Altavilla
- Dining on beautiful white fish, zucchini, plump tomatoes and local wines at Pasha restaurant
City break in Southern Italy
Corte Altavilla, Bari
Four-night Bari escape with a full-day wine tour, two gourmet meals, flights and transfers
A peaceful nook of Italy with Medieval streets, picturesque harbours and some of the best food on the continent, the southern coast knows how to charm. Fashionable as it may be - the region's capital city of Bari retains much of its old-world character and laissez-faire appeal. Pitch up at a chic, cobbly restaurant by the piazza and sip a crisp glass of wine from a vaulted cellar for a taste of Pugliese life.
You'll spend four nights in an elegant Junior Suite at Corte Altavilla, an ancient property overlooking a Romanesque cathedral. Tucked away in the Old Town's labyrinth of narrow streets, this sweet residence offers softly-decorated accommodation with exposed white stone, beamed ceilings and a beautifully higgledy-piggledy layout.
Your first experience of the local fare will be on your first night, with a welcome dinner at Goffredo restaurant up on the roof terrace. The next day, you'll be taken on a guided tour of UNESCO World Heritage Site Castel del Monte and its surrounding vineyards, before heading to Cantine Carpentiere for wine-tasting accompanied by juicy olives, bruschetta and caciocavallo. Taste and learn about some of the area's finest DOC wines, instructed by an experienced Italian oenologist, then stop for lunch at a typically Pugliese masseria, before heading to the perfect marina town of Trani for the afternoon.
On day three, you'll be treated to a little Salus per Acquam (water therapy) in the basement Thermarium Spa - a real Roman bath - before a gourmet dinner at exclusive Pasha dining room, which boasts views of the sparkling Adriatic. An excursion to Ostuni with a local cooking class can be arranged for your fourth day, but you may also wish to do some independent exploring.
Our offers include return flights from London and transfers, as well as one lunch and two evening meals, plus daily breakfast. One offer includes rates for one child. Please note that your flight does not include hold luggage (however this can be added for a supplement) and drinks are excluded from inclusive evening meals.
- To find out more about Corte Altavilla, please visit their website
- Read guest reviews on Tripadvisor.co.uk
- Compare our rates with those available elsewhere online, starting with Booking.com
- Read up about Puglia on Condé Nast Traveller
- Read more about the historic Castel del Monte and the surrounding vineyards here
Can't commit to booking right now?Hold a date for only £25 while you decide.
- Pay £25 to hold a date until the end of the sale.
- If you choose to buy it, the money will go towards your purchase, if not, the cash will be credited to your Secret Escapes account.
Important: Please note, this is not a deposit, complete or guaranteed booking; holding the date simply prevents other members from swooping in and booking your preferred date while you're still having a think about it. Secret Escapes will not be liable for expenses incurred should that date not be available to book and a hold is cancelled.
For more details, please see our FAQ page and our terms and conditions