- Getting up close to the giant panda (and his red cousin) in their beautiful environs at Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding
- The impressive number of World Heritage Sites that you'll visit on your seven-night tour, with all flights and transfers fully organised
- Chengdu's fragrant teahouses, Beijing's narrow hutongs and Xi'an's relics of early civilisation
China tour with flights
Beijing, Xi'an & Chengdu
Seven-night tour through Beijing, Xi'an and Chengdu with a visit to a panda reserve, incredible guided excursions and all travel
Starting in the cool metropolis of Beijing, this supersized seven-night tour of China takes you on a southward journey through some of the most astounding locations on the planet. Square up to 7,000 stone warriors in ancient Xi'an and get up close to bamboo-chewing pandas in the world-famous Chengdu reserve, satisfying your appetite with jasmine tea and fiery Sichuan hot pots along the way.
Upon arrival at the airport, you'll be met by a representative and transferred to the Super House International for a three-night stay. You'll have the first day to find your feet amongst the twisting hutongs, before setting off early in the morning for the first of many incredible excursions. Stand on the Great Wall of China and see the sacred Temple of Heaven, then set foot on the iconic, 440,000 square-metre Tiananmen Square, where locals practice tai-chi at sunrise. Next, enter the Forbidden City - an 8,700-room palace that kept the public out for 500 years, finishing up at the exquisite gardens and glassy waters of the Summer Palace.
Next you'll follow the fabled Silk Road to Xi'an, in the dip of the Wei River Valley, staying at the King Dynasty Hotel for two nights. Visit the Ancient City Wall and the imposing Terracotta Warriors, sculpted in 210BC to guard the Emperor's tomb. Your hotel is situated just a short stroll from Xi'an Ring Park - an area of green and modern outdoor space not dissimilar in concept to New York's hip High Line park.
The third destination takes you down to the good-time city of Chengdu, where you'll spend two nights at the central Sichuan House hotel. Clamber onto the toes of the 71-metre-high Grand Buddha, carved into a cliff-face at the confluence of three rivers, and board a small boat to peer up at the jaw-dropping Tang Dynasty figure from the water. Onwards to the red lanterns and film-set-style streets of Huanglongxi, then finally; your rendezvous with China's most beloved bear. Spend the morning at the reserve and enjoy a last excursion to the third-century BC Dujiangyan Irrigation Project at the foot of Mount Qingcheng.
Direct flights from London with Etihad Airways are included, as well as internal flights between the three cities. Accommodation at all three four-star hotels is on a bed and breakfast basis, and lunch is provided on the five days that include a full-day excursion, as well as two evening meals. Transfers and entrance fees are included with each excursion detailed on the itinerary (see Hotel Details tab and Offer Details).
Please note: both your outbound and inbound flights are overnight, so whilst this is a seven-night tour, you'll be away for a total of nine nights. The first day marked on the calendar is the day of departure, so you don't arrive in Beijing until the second day. There are also just two departure dates, so booking fast is recommended.
- For more on the hotels, take a look at their websites; here for Super House International (Beijing), here for King Dynasty Hotel (Xi'an) and here for Sichuan Hotel (Chengdu)
- Check out TimeOut Beijing for the best bars, restaurants, events and off-beat places to see
- Find out more about the conservation work at Chengdu panda reserve (and coo over the pictures) here
Can't commit to booking right now?Hold a date for only £25 while you decide.
- Pay £25 to hold a date until the end of the sale.
- If you choose to buy it, the money will go towards your purchase, if not, the cash will be credited to your Secret Escapes account.
Important: Please note, this is not a deposit, complete or guaranteed booking; holding the date simply prevents other members from swooping in and booking your preferred date while you're still having a think about it. Secret Escapes will not be liable for expenses incurred should that date not be available to book and a hold is cancelled.
For more details, please see our FAQ page and our terms and conditions